When MkII was released Privateer Press resized the “wall template” used by some spells, making the fold-up cards that came with models like Feora and Gorten obsolete. Although I liked the fold-up wall for ease of handling, I decided to make a new flat set so models could be placed directly on them if necessary.
The actual construction of the new templates is pretty rudimentary. The template itself is sized at 4″ x .75″, so I cut the required shape out of a piece of balsa wood I had left over from an old terrain project. A simple cut-out would have been more than sufficient as a template, but I went online and found a fire texture that I resized and printed out to glue to the template. Making a template “pretty” is hardly necessary but the most convenient templates and game aids are those that are immediately recognizable for what they are at only a glance.
Just like the tokens that I create, I used UHU glue on the templates, since it doesn’t warp thin surfaces when applied like PVA glue will. But first I took a sharpie and edged the wood black to make it look more finished. You can do this after applying the label but then you run the risk of marking over it. Edging the template first means you can afford to be a little sloppy.
After that dries, I apply the glue thin enough and make sure the edges are covered (so the paper won’t peel up) and then apply the printout, making sure to affix it evenly.
I only applied the fire to one side of the wall templates. I could have done both just so I didn’t have to bother with flipping the template if I grabbed the wrong side, but if I ever play a faction that has access to the other wall spells – like Searforge – I’ll place their wall on the reverse side for convenience.